David has more than 20 years’ experience counseling executives at public and private companies in industries ranging from computer hardware to mobile software to life sciences. In addition to co-founding Phillips & Reiter, PLLC, David has more than 13 years of experience in serving as General Counsel & Corporate Secretary for publicly-traded companies, including Luminex Corporation, a leading life sciences company (NASDAQ: LMNX) and 724 Solutions, Inc., a wireless software solutions provider (NASDAQ: SVNX, formerly Tantau Software, an Austin Ventures Company). David’s career also includes tenure as Senior Counsel of Compaq Computer Corporation, supporting Worldwide Sales & Services, Supply Chain Management and the Consumer Products Group. He began his career in private practice in Los Angeles. He currently serves as a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
During his career as general counsel and in private practice, David has counseled clients on a variety of commercial and technology transactions, ranging from complex licensing, development and sales transactions to purchasing and logistics agreements, including all aspects of drafting and negotiating. He has led multiple negotiations in the acquisitions of public and private companies, and assisted his clients in being acquired, including all aspects of drafting and negotiating purchase agreements, complying will applicable laws and regulations and leading the legal due diligence process. Most recently, David assisted in the sale of his clients AlienVault, Inc to ATT and Amplify Snack Brands, Inc. to The Hershey Company. He is experienced in managing corporate governance matters, including all interactions with the Board of Directors for public and private companies, compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley and public requirements, implementing policies and procedures. He has also served as the corporate compliance officer.
In addition, David has experience managing labor issues, including hiring and firing matters involving personnel and in establishing compensation and benefits structures for both executive and non-executive employees. His work includes assisting clients in resolving disputes outside of litigation and where necessary navigating and effectively resolving matters in court. He has assisted clients in developing and analyzing their overall business strategies and structures and has been responsible for managing government affairs and human resources.
During his career in private practice, David has counseled the following sample of early to mid-stage companies: Amplify Snack Brands, Inc (A Hershey Company, formerly NYSE: BETR), AlienVault, Inc. (Acquired by ATT), Apollo Endosurgery, Inc. (NASDAQ: APEN), Cantata Healthcare, Inc., Community Brands, Inc., Campus Life and Style, LLC, Cosential, Inc., Arena Solutions, Inc., Flow Below Areo, Inc., ChromaCode, Inc., Upland Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: UPLD), Clear Orbit, Inc. (Acquired by Take Solutions), Perficient, Inc. (NASDAQ: PRFT) and RenewData (acquired by LDiscovery).
David is happily married with two children. In his free time, he is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Texas Law School and enjoys tennis, cycling and fly fishing.
- B.A., Government, University of Notre Dame (With Honors). ITA Rolex Academic-All American (Tennis).
- J.D./Master of International Relations, University of Southern California.
- MBA, Sheffield University (UK).
- Commercial Agreements
- Technology Agreements
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Intellectual Property Counseling
- Labor Issues
- Dispute Resolution
- Corporate Finance Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions Transactions
Mr. Reiter has authorized multiple publications and regularly presents to professional associations and business groups.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Texas Law School – January 2019- Present
- Conference Chair, 2013 General Counsel Forum Annual Conference
- David Reiter, Editor, Internet Law for the Business Lawyer, American Bar Association, First Edition, May 2000
- Conference Speaker, UT Corporate Counsel Conference, Fall 2014
- Board and Executive Committee Member, Goodwill of Central Texas, 2016 – Present.
- Board Member, Austin Community College Foundation, 2011 – Present.
- Team Leader, Mobile Loaves and Fishes Truck, 2004 – Present.
- Executive Committee, Austin Chamber of Commerce – 2014.
- Board Member, KIPP Austin Charter School – 2012 to 2017.
- Statewide Board Member, Texas General Counsel Forum, 2012 – 2015.
- Austin Chapter President, Texas General Counsel Forum, 2012.
- Corporate Fundraising Council Board Member, Long Center for the Performing Arts, 2006 – 2008.